Web Search Engines
Kids' Search Sites
- Ask Jeeves for Kids Clean interface, an excellent database of answers, best site for middle and elementary school students.
- KidsClick! Search engine for kids developed by librarians. Well organized by subject matter for easy navigation.
- Lycos SafetyNet The Lycos engine with a filter designed to protect against inappropriate and questionable sites.
- Yahooligans Geared to ages 8-14. This Search Engine guides young users to "kid appropriate" content in categories such as entertainment, sports and recreation, arts and crafts, science, news and homework tips.
The Top Search Engines
- All the Web The absolutely fasted search engine on the web.
- AltaVista Strong returns, intricate searching capabilities and a large database. Geared more for the intermediate & expert user. Interface deficiencies make it less user-friendly than the comparable Northern Lights or HotBot. You really need to learn the advanced search language to harnass AltaVista's considerable power.
- Announcement of New Web Sites National Center for Supercomputing Applications; University of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign
- Excite Natural language descriptive searches. Includes site reviews and travel guides.
- Google The mother of all search engines......
- Go To Com Very straightforward interface. Returns all pages with your keyword inquiry.
- Highway 61
- HotBot Very fast. Speedy, clean interface. This site is a must for advanced searching.
- Infoseek Gives you flexibility in narrowing your search from the start.
- IWon.com Works like most search engines, but after an initial registration, gives you the chance to win $$ when looking for what you need on the Net.
- Lycos Multi-term queries. Lycos looks for a loose match of a keyword and automatically performs wildcard searching.
- Magellan Family-oriented Web directory. Many sites are reviewed and rated on a four star scale.
- Northern Light Both an internet search engine and a fee-based database service. Uncluttered interface.
- Webcrawler Easy to use. Includes site reviews. Geared more for the novice.
- Yahoo An excellent starting point for Web searching. The most popular search engine. Still one of the easiest to use.
- Yahoo Educational Sites K-12 Education Web Searcher
- Curry Guide A metasearch engine for Europe. Sorted by categories. Recommended by H. Alexandria Bodha, a participant in Columbia's 1999-2000 Summer Research Program.
- Dogpile Search 13 popular engines as well as Usenet newsgroups
- FlexFinder Queries multiple search engines in parallel,and combines the results based on relevance. The user can choose among specialized meta search engines like Health & Medicine, Research & Education, News or Government.
- Highway 61 No, you will not find Bob Dylan here but this site does offer reliable returns and useful features for setting a query time limit.
- Mamma The mother of all search engines lets you put the top engines to work
- Metacrawler Search nine of the most popular engines or Usenet newsgroups
- ProFusion Lets you choose the three best engines based on your query, the three fastest engines, or all the engines
- SuperSeek A frames-based interface shows each category's returns in individual frames. This site is specialized and is better for research purposes than for general Web searching.
- Bigfoot An e-mail address finder.
- Company Information Excellent resource for getting a snapshot of any company.
- Computer Magazine Archives Can't remember where you saw an article about a computer product? Over 200,000 computer articles.
- DejaNews Usenet Newsgroups
- Driving Directions Get door-to-door directions to any spot in the U.S.
- Find A Definition Index of almost 2 million words taken from several hundred dictionaries.
- Find A Job Virtual job ads let you specify job location, description and salary requirements.
- Legislator's Voting Records Tracks performance of more than 13,000 political leaders including governors, members of congress, the president and state legislators. Also includes biographies, campaign funding info and positions on issues.
- PedagoNet This is an educational search engine that provides learning materials and resources for teachers.
- People Search Search by name, city or state to find e-mail and white pages information.
- Public Records Save yourself a trip to the county records office. After registering, you can search on any name to access a database of residences, death records, home values and home buyers and sellers. Other searches are available but will cost you about a dollar each.
- Science Search Engine Filters out all non-science web sites
- Shareware.com Software searches
- Zip Codes U.S. Postal Service Zip Codes