Summer Research Program for Science Teachers
M.S. 54, Manhattan
The Periodic Table of Elements Game
Jump to "Understanding the Speed and Acceleration Formulas"
Jump to "The Great Bookbag Alarm"
To reinforce the students knowledge of the periodic table
of the elements.
Motivation: Divide the class into boy and girl teams and tell the students that Were going to find out once and for all if women are really better at science than men. (Its sexist, I know, but it motivates them like nothing Ive ever seen!)
1. All questions are based upon the table of elements, or
information given in class regarding the table of elements.
Each team appoints a spokesperson. Only that person can
give an answer, after consulting with teammates. The
spokesperson must give only the information asked for, no more,
3. Each person on the team will have a copy of the table of elements, and can speak (quietly) to their teammates, but only the spokesperson can address the teacher. If anyone other than the spokesperson answers the question, the team loses a turn. If the wrong information is given, even if for the right element, the turn is lost.
4. Each team will have 15 seconds to formulate an answer.
If a team answers incorrectly, or cannot answer in the allotted
time, the opposing team will have 15 second to answer the
6. If neither team can answer a question, a new question is posed.
7. The first team to answer 15 questions correctly wins
(suggested prize: points on the next test grade for each
Suggest format for questions:
I am thinking of an element. This element (give identifying characteristic) [5-8 Content Standard B- Properties of matter]. What is the (name/symbol/atomic number/atomic weight/number of electrons/number of protons/meaning of the symbol) of this element?
Return to Chemistry Lesson Plans Menu