***It is recommended that you print this page to assist you in preparing your application***
May 1st, 2017 - 5 p.m. application RECEIPT deadline
FELLOWSHIPS OFFERED: Columbia Universityís Summer Research Program will provide ten Fellowships in 2017 to New York metropolitan area middle and high school science teachers. Eight of these awards will support science teachersí research in the stem cell science laboratories of the New York Stem Cell Foundation and of Columbia University for 7-8 weeks in two consecutive summers (2017 & 2018). Additionally, two awards will support science teachersí research in Columbia University laboratories in other areas of science (e.g., Astronomy, Chemistry, Earth and Environmental Science, Physics).Applicants wishing to participate in this program must commit to work in a Columbia University or a New York Stem Cell Foundation research laboratory for eight weeks in EACH ofTWO consecutive summers (2017 & 2018). The proposed fellowship stipend each summer will be $6,000 per summer, pending sufficient program funding.
ELIGIBILITY: Science teachers currently employed in any public, independent or parochial middle, intermediate, junior, or senior high school in the New York metropolitan area. The applicant must be committed to continue teaching in New York-New Jersey area middle and senior high schools. The program seeks dynamic, energetic, creative, articulate and communicative professionals who have demonstrated leadership and initiative in their schools, and a desire to stimulate their studentsí enthusiasm for science and for learning..
Applicants must be either a U.S. Citizen or Resident Alien. NO EXCEPTIONS. Proof of status will be required
TENTATIVE SCHEDULE: The 2017 program will begin on Wednesday, July 5 and conclude on Wednesday or Thursday, August 23 or 24, 2015. Teachers spend four days per week (Tuesdays through Fridays), doing hands-on research in their host laboratories. Mondays are reserved for formal professional development exercises including seminars on selected scientific topics of broad general scientific interest. In the Programís last week, Fellows present the results of their research projects in poster and short talk formats
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS (due by May 1st, 2017):
1) 2017 Research Fellowship Application: Can be completed and submitted online to email@example.com, or mailed to Ms. Karen J. Allis, Summer Research Program Administrator, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. 630 West 168th Street, Box 40, New York, N.Y. 10032.
2) TWO letters of recommendation from individuals who know you and your work. One letter must be from either the head of your department or your school principal, preferably from both. Please provide the guidelines to those from whom you will be requesting a recommendation. It is YOUR responsibility to make sure each letter of recommendation is placed in a separate envelope, sealed with their signature across the envelope flap and included with the other required application documents.
3) Your CURRENT C.V. (resume). The C.V. must not exceed three pages and should include the following information:
- Education (include schools, degrees and dates)
- Professional experience (include dates & places of employment)
- Related professional experiences in addition to primary teaching experience
- Memberships in professional organizations
- Awards, publications, patents, notable achievements, etc.
4) One COPY of your State or local Science Teacher Certification or License OR proof of eligibility (applicants who do not hold a science certificate or license may submit copies of college transcripts indicating sufficient coursework to be eligible for a science license and/or certificate).
ALL supporting documents must be returned inONE envelope (US Postal Service, overnight carrier, or hand delivered)
NOTE:Applicants who submitted a COMPLETE program application in 2016, with letters of recommendation, must complete the online application to be considered for the 2017 Program. An updated C.V./Resume (three pages maximum), two new letters of recommendation, and copy of your current teaching license/certificate also are required.
Submit all supporting documents in one envelope to:
Ms. Karen Allis, Summer Research Program Administrator,
630 West 168th Street | Box 40 |
New York, NY 10032
All documents must be RECEIVED no later than Sunday May 1st, 2017 at 5:00 p.m. FAXED OR E-MAILED SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. You will receive confirmation of the Program's receipt of your completed application.
Applications will be reviewed by members of the Programís Advisory Committee. Applicants selected for personal interviews will meet with the Advisory Committee members and at least one faculty member from a laboratory conducting research in an area in which you have indicated an interest. Assignment to a laboratory will be by mutual agreement of the applicant and the head of the laboratory. Applicants will be notified of their status no later than early May 2017.
Applications are considered INCOMPLETE without at least TWO letters of recommendation, a CURRENT C.V. (resume), and a COPY of your State or City Science Teacher Certification or License (or proof of eligibility).
***We recommend that you complete the ESSAY questions in a word processing program prior to beginning the electronic application. Once in the essay section of the application, cut and paste your responses from your word processing program into the appropriate spaces on the electronic application. Each essay question should not exceed 250 words.***
*Please note that once you begin the application, you must complete it during that online session. You won't be able to leave and complete it at a later time*
All good wishes for success